Sunday, July 2, 2006

Some finished projects

I finished my entry for Ashford's Shrek II contest. The challenge was to make something with wool from the runaway sheep, Shrek II. I bought 2 ounces of raw wool, but I didn't end up with a lot of usable yarn, so I decided to make Shrek's wool a "design feature" in a larger work. I made a pillow and the white sheep on it is made from Shrek's wool.

I also finished my Fair Isle socks. These were really fun to make. I love Fair Isle and the self striping yarn makes changing colors unnecessary ... so you just have to worry about two balls of yarn instead of a dozen.

Miracle of miracles, I can actually wear them. I thought the Fair Isle around my calves would be too tight, but they fit!

Finishing these knitting projects is a ray of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy world. The combination of Jeff's work demands and Ally's broken leg made us cancel our summer vacation to England -- for the second year in a row. After all the time I spent making all the reservations, it was very disheartening to cancel all of them.

Then, this afternoon, Jeff blew a tire on his way to his after-Sunday-mass meeting. He didn't have time to deal with it, so he limped the car into his office parking lot and called me to deal with it. Now, at 11:30 p.m., I have to go to his office and pick him up -- since he doesn't have a car.

The girls and I recently saw the movie "Click" and I think Jeff would be very hurt to know how strongly the girls identify him with the father in the movie who loves his family, but always puts his job first.

No comments: