Friday, June 23, 2006

It's too hot to think ...

I really goofed up. I thought I was doing a GOOD thing -- installing a new programmable thermostat so we could keep the house warm during the day and cool at night. Unfortunately, I fried the thermostat transformer and we were without air all last night. Jeff was not amused. The HVAC guy came first thing this morning, though, and fixed my mistake for $325. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it or that he charged more than he should ... but, golly, I didn't expect this minor household thermostat upgrade to cost us $400 (thermostat plus repairman). At least it's working now and the house is starting to cool.

I'm halfway through my second sock of the Knitpicks Fair Isle pattern. I'm getting ready to turn the heel. Online I found some instructions for wrapping the yarn so that I don't get such big holes in the heel. I'm still not sure I like the short row heel. It looks sort of like a thumb, doesn't it?

I'm planning a project to submit in an Ashford contest. It seems that these sheep ran away and got lost and were out in the wilderness for 6 or 7 years, far from the sheep shears. When they were found, they were huge puff balls and the largest, named "Shrek II," yielded a record 68 pounds of wool (avg. fleece is about 8 pounds). Elizabeth Ashford sold some of the wool in 1 oz. lots and I bought 2 ounces, just to see what it was like. Ashford is having a contest for whoever makes something out of the wool. All you have to do is send in a picture of your item by July 31st.

I'm planning a little pillow that says "Run Shrek II Run!" I'll post pictures later.

No comments: