Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Making Lemonade

Well, in lieu of going to England, I've been busy knitting and spinning. I spun some silk very finely from a silk cap (each cocoon is a layer in the cap) and then plied it with a very fine strand of Andy's angora fur. It feels lovely, but I still need some more twist in it. Next time I'll use the electric spinner. I think it also needs a better color. I wonder how it would look dyed? Ah, an experiment ...

I've also been at work on my favorite type of project: felting. I had heard about a great pattern from Patternworks for felted clogs, so I tried it. Here is the unfelted slipper next to my pink clog slipper. To the left is a close up of the unfelted slipper.

Next is the felted slipper beside my pink slipper for comparison. What a change! And, last, is the felted slipper on its own. Where is the mate, you say? I was so anxious to see what it would look like that I threw the first slipper into the wash before I made the second one. It didn't occur to me until later that they might not felt the same if they aren't treated exactly the same. So, they may not turn out to be matching slippers at all!

No comments: