Saturday, April 29, 2006

I Knitted With the Harlot!

Great knitting day today! I got to knit with the Harlot!

It was a triumph for knitters (and knitting book writers) that among the scores of published authors at the Bluegrass Book Festival, Stephanie had the most loyal following. Sue Grafton and Jane Fonda got some attention, of course, but Stephanie's devotees waited patiently in line to have their books signed and then gathered for an impromptu "knit in" until time for her to speak.

I'm sitting there with my wild Magic Stripes socks and my still unfinished blue sweater sleeve.


I met up with Nancy Reid from Friendship Spinners and she introduced me to a couple of other people. She was working on a pair of green socks in the same Knit Picks yarn that I have waiting in my "to do" basket.


Stephanie was amazing. She took time to speak with each person in line and admire their projects. It must be an odd feeling when you don't actually know anyone but they all feel as if they know you ... dozens of people who know all about your life and you've never seen them before. If we weren't all so charming and lovely, it would be quite intimating.

At 4:00 Stephanie spoke to a packed room, most of whom had knitting in hand. She was so FUNNY! I was a little suprised because a lot of people who are hysterical in print (Dave Barry, for example) don't give good interviews. She has a lot of poise, doesn't take herself too seriously and -- obviously -- has a lightning quick wit.

Even better, after her speech, she agreed to meet some of us (who were hovering around unwilling for the day to be over) for coffee at the local coffee shop. About ten of us sat and drank coffee and knitted with Stephanie for two hours!
Somehow, under Stephanie's magic influence, I began to actually make progress in the unending last sleeve. I think I might actually finish it tonight!

Bless you, Stephanie, and the positive knitting aura that surrounds you. (Note: I did NOT say "Bless your heart.")

No comments: