Saturday, September 2, 2006

Speech after long silence ... (Yeats)

It's been a while since I've posted. The girls have gone back to school and I've started my new part-time job. See Stephanie's blog on August 25th for an accurate description of me while I'm working at home. Still, it's sort of fun to be exercising the muscle between my ears a little. I just hope I did a decent job on the memo Joe assigned me this week.

My wool from New Zealand arrived. I chose Lagoon color and I'm not sure it goes too well with the brown alpaca it's mixed with. It look nice and tweedy, though, when it's spun and plied. The alpaca gives it a little halo. I'm thinking of plying it with some soft merino and making socks.

I also finished Kate's school socks. I wish they were superwash -- I'm just sure she's going to toss them in the wash and I'll felt them by accident. I couldn't find any superwash wool in a plain bright white color. And the cotton I found said it needed to be handwashed too. So ... I tried them on and they're very comfortable. Maybe we can avoid shrinking them for at least one winter.

I'm still on the fence about this sweater. Ally thinks the colors don't go well together and I think it's a little garish. I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time making a sweater I won't wear. Yet, when I pulled it out to take this picture, I thought it looked cheerful and I sort of like it.

No comments: