Monday, January 22, 2007

Once more with feeling

Remember the beautiful mohair shawl that looked like a starlit sky? Well, I've spent the last two days frogging it. You don't know what patience is until you've frogged 22 rows of mohair!

When I wound the mohair on my ball winder, it made two huge balls and I figured it was easily enough for a shawl. I followed the directions in Lily Chin's book and used the crochet hook she prescribed. After I had crocheted about a foot of material, I could see that I was running out of yarn for the first ball. Moreover, the mohair seemed too dense and didn't feel very soft. Unless I wanted to make a glitzy and fairly rigid shawl for a five year old, something had to be done. So I did it ... I ripped it out and started over.

This time I'm using a huge crochet hook and the fabric has a better hand. I still may not have quite enough for the shawl, but I can add something else on the ends as long as the fabric is draping properly. Onward and upward.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Hi, Penny

See I do read your blog.

You are right about the I pod I inherited an old one from my my children (they call it big and clunky) it is about the size of my palm, petty small to me. There are all sorts of things to liston to.

ME said that the i-pod is intuitive but I don't think so I needed lessons.