Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Friendship Spinners Christmas Retreat

Last weekend Friendship Spinners met for our annual Christmas retreat at Shakertown. It was lovely, as usual, getting together with about forty of the nicest people I've ever met. The creativity and kindness are not to be equaled anywhere.

Naturally, we brought our wheels and we spun ... and we talked ... and we laughed and we asked each other fiber questions. And, of course, we ate. I brought a couple dozen of these springerle cookies imprinted with my spinner cookie mold. They were pretty good.

The highlight of Friday night was the Annual Parade of the Crones, a very touching (and silly) ceremony. We all aspire to be crones someday. [if you don't know, don't ask]

At last, I can share pictures of the shawl I've been working on for the shawl exchange. It's lavender suri alpaca wool spun up to resemble mohair (but much softer). I used Lily Chin's pattern for a beaded crochet shawl and worked several thousand white glass beads into the pattern and as a looped beaded fringe around the ends. Thank goodness, Nancy Reed, who received it, was pleased with it.

There was a slight mix-up with the shawl exchange, but where there's a will there's a way, especially when kind people are involved. I received a beautiful handwoven shawl that was made during a sheep to shawl event. The warp is made of Lincoln cross wool and the weft is Shetland. I LOVE it. It's especially nice because it wasn't just made by one person, it was a group effort.

A lovely time was had by all. I just wish I could spend more time with them.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,

This all looks like a thick slice of happiness :-) The people, the yarn, the wheels, the cookies, the Crones (!), talk about wonders. And both the shawl you made and the shawl you received look splendid. I'm so happy for you!

Hope all is well with family :-)