Monday, October 2, 2006

A Minor Setback


As I sat in my CLE lecture -- attempting to keep utter boredom at bay by knitting on my qivuit moebius scarf -- it became crystal clear to me that the lace was never going to look right no matter how I blocked it. The number of stitches wasn't right and the pattern was full of unintended holes and it was a complete mess.

So, I spent about two hours carefully undoing all my work and rolling the precious qivuit back into a ball of yarn. Then, another two hours to cast on the nearly 400 stitches required for this pattern and make the moebius shape. Well, it gave me something to do while the lecturers droned on about how to do estate planning so that you can claim medicaid coverage when you go into a nursing home.
Now I'm almost back to the point where I had to visit the frog pond and, lo and behold, I sort of see a pattern! I think ripping it out was worth it. I put markers in every 30 stitches so I can see right away when (not IF) I make a mistake and can correct it before it becomes a disaster. Ah, patience is a virtue.

I've been combing the bunny and getting a lot of beautiful angora from him. I even carded up a batch on my Louet drum carder and, as soon as I finish spinning the gray Gottland wool, I'm going to spin up a skein of pure angora. The gray Gottland and the gray bunny go well together -- I may try to make something that uses both.

No comments: