Saturday, November 3, 2007

Dyeing and Bleeding

I decided to ply the shades of red roving from Violet against a red silk thread that I had and it turned out pretty nice. In fact, it received the highest compliment imaginable -- my fourteen-year-old wants me to make her something out of it! She really likes it.

The only problem I had with it was when I set the twist, the yarn bled ... a lot. That's pretty common with red dyes, but I think the color is less vibrant than it was before and that's disappointing.

I'm making progress on the stash chest. I've almost got all the paper scraped off and I already sanded one wall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya,

It does look from the pics of the unplied yarn that you lost some of the darker tones, but it still looks nice :-). I too had a bad experience with violet silk yarn. I wonder if silk is event more prone to bleed than wool. I am still looking forward to see what you'll knit from it. I bet you fourteen-year-old does too!

Best,

Celine